Monday, March 9, 2009

My Version of KaseSpaetzle

The other day we had an easy dinner of German Bratwursts, green broad beans, and I wanted to have a Spaetzle dish to go along with it. I remembered my mom telling me about a dish they serve in Germany, which consists of basically spaetzle, sauteed onions, and emmental (a kind of swiss) cheese. This is my easy version, using dried packaged spaetzle. I'm sure this would be even better with fresh spaetzle. The leftovers (the spaetzle combined with the green beans, and sliced bratwurst) were even better the next day, stir-fried in a little olive oil.

My Kasespaetzle

2 cups dry spaetzle
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 red onion, sliced thinly
1 1/2 cups shredded emmental cheese
2 tablespoons chopped green onion
salt, to taste

Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add spaetzle and cook until done, 8-10 minutes for dry. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil and butter and cook onion slowly, over low heat, until carmelized. When spaetzle is done, drain well, and add to the skillet with the onion. Add emmental cheese, and stir until melted. (Some may clump together). Season with salt, and top with chopped green onions.

4 comments:

Shelby said...

Looks yummy Dishy! That is a great photo!! (hint, hint)

Sara said...

I've never had spaetzle before, but I've always wanted to learn to make them. This looks great.

LadyJayPee said...

My hunt for spaetzle in Smalltown, USA has begun. :) Thanks for the recipe!

Linda said...

I've never had spaetzle, but since it looks a little like noodles, I know I would love it. Your photo makes my mouth water.