Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Hot Fudge Sauce

This is my go-to recipe for hot fudge sauce.  It's easy, I always have the ingredients on hand, and I love the flavor.  It's from the Betty Crocker Cookbook, 1996 Edition.  When I graduated from high school and was going away to college, my mom got this for me.  For a long time, it was the only cookbook I owned.  There are some good, basic recipes in there!  After my first baby was born, my husband and I would often eat this over vanilla ice cream, late at night after the baby finally went to bed.  I'd have more hot fudge in my bowl than ice cream.  Good memories!  This recipe did contribute to some extra post-baby poundage though, so be careful!  :)  I only make it once in a while these days.

Hot Fudge Sauce
adapted from Betty Crocker

1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
1 (12 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips*
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1.  Place milk, chocolate chips and sugar in a medium saucepan.  Heat to boiling over medium heat, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat, and stir in butter and vanilla (sauce will thicken while it is cooling).  Serve warm over ice cream.

2.  Makes about 3 cups and will last, covered in the fridge, about a month.  After refrigerating, reheat gently in the microwave before use. 

*Note:  Mini semisweet chips come in 12-oz. bags and work best for this recipe because they melt easily and quickly.  Most other chocolate chips come in 10 oz. bags now.  If you only use 10 oz, this recipe won't work.  Use the 10 oz. bag plus 2 oz. of chocolate chips- a kitchen scale is the best, easiest way to measure this!  :)
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

6 comments:

Sonya said...

Betty Crocker recipes are the best. I had the same book! LOL I need to make some more ice cream and use this to go on top. I've yet to make just a vanilla flavored ice cream.

Miriam said...

Hey, I'm so happy you're making one of my recipes! Hope you like it!! I'll be visiting your blog too. Cariños.

Sinful Southern Sweets said...

Mmmmm, I believe I could eat this with a spoon!

Linda said...

Still one of my favorite treats. I like more sauce than ice cream too.

I had a big hot fudge sundae the night before my daughter was born. ;)

Susie @ Hick Chick said...

I had your post open on my browser last night and both of the chickies said "MOM!!!!!! Are you making this? Can you make this right now?" LOL I can imagine if I did make it - it would cause "poundage"! YUM!

What a Dish! said...

You should make it, Susie! :) Thanks for the comments, everyone.