Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Spring Is Here!!


I know I just made St. Patty's cupcakes and all, but I wanted to make something for the first day of Spring, and these light lemony cupcakes came to mind.  (Plus, I gave some of them away!)  I use this as a base recipe (and omit the lemon) for my go-to vanilla cupcake recipe.  I've started to use plain Greek yogurt in place of sour cream, and I absolutely love that change- it makes for lighter, fluffier cupcakes.  Today, though, I had to use up some sour cream, since I have a ton on hand and it needs used.  These are good both ways- I love this recipe!  Make sure to use fresh lemon juice and zest if you make the lemon version of these.

Lemon Cream Cupcakes
adapted from Allrecipes.com
Makes about 15 cupcakes

Cupcakes:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sour cream OR plain Greek yogurt

Frosting:
1/4 cup butter, softened
3-1/3 cups confectioners' sugar
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest
 milk, to thin, if needed

1.  Preheat oven to 350 F.  Line muffin cups with paper liners.  In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg and yolk, one at a time. Add lemon zest and vanilla; mix well. Combine dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream or yogurt (batter will be thick). Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups with about 1/4 cup of batter. Bake for 15-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.

2.  For frosting, cream butter and sugar in a small mixing bowl. Add lemon juice, vanilla, lemon peel and milk if needed; beat until smooth.  Frost cupcakes.  (I piped it onto cupcakes with a 1M Wilton tip).
              
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

No comments: