Monday, April 30, 2012

Joy the Baker's Oatmeal Cookie Pancakes

I loved these pancakes- since trying the recipe a few months ago, I've made them 3 times!!  They're in Joy the Baker's new cookbook, which I own and love.  :)  They are kind of similar to some of my favorite pancakes, but they use less oats, don't have to sit overnight, and the recipe uses 2 cups of buttermilk. I buy buttermilk in 1-cup containers, so it's helpful to be able to use exactly 2 containers and not have any leftover.  But both recipes have their place; I love both of them. 

It's so hard for me to get a good picture of pancakes- I almost didn't post this because I wasn't satisfied with the pictures!  But I really like this recipe, and wanted to put it out there. 

I used part whole-wheat pastry flour in this recipe.... I think I used 1 cup of whole wheat pastry and 1/2 cup of all-purpose.  I didn't have any golden raisins to put in, but I would put them in next time... I'd not put them in the batter though- just drop them on top of the raw batter after I ladeled in the griddle.  That way people can choose if they want raisins or not.  These pancakes are on the smaller side- Joy calls for 2 tablespoons of batter for each pancake, but I usually use double that.  Do what comes naturally!  ;)

Oatmeal Cookie Pancakes
adapted from Joy the Baker
Serves 4 or more

2 eggs
1 1/2 cups flour (I used one cup ww pastry)
3/4 cup old fashioned oats
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
big pinch of freshly ground nutmeg
2 cups buttermilk
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
4 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
½ teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup golden raisins, optional
oil or cooking spray (for cooking)

1.  In a large bowl beat eggs. Add buttermilk, butter , maple syrup and vanilla and mix well. Add flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt. Mix well until mostly smooth. Fold in raisins (or you can add them later, as individual pancakes are cooking) and let batter set for a few minutes.

2.  Heat griddle or pan over medium heat. Add a teaspoon of oil to the pan or spray with cooking spray. You can test to see if the pan is hot enough by adding a few drops of water, when the drops start to "dance" its hot enough.

3.  Pour 2-4 Tablespoons of batter onto the griddle. At this point, you can add raisins, if you want.  Cook on the first side until bubbles that form start to pop. You can also gently lift up the pancake to make sure the bottom is not overcooking, if it is the pan may be too hot and you will need to adjust the heat. Flip the pancake over with a spatula and cook until golden brown. Repeat until all the batter is gone. If desired, let cooked pancakes rest on a heat proof plate in a 200 degree F oven until ready to serve.  (We always just eat them as they come off the griddle; no need for the oven!)


**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

1 comment:

Linda said...

I have only seen the cover of Joy's cookbook, but it does sound like a good one. Nice to have a review of this recipe!