Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Black Bean & Corn Salad

I love the flavors and freshness in this salad.  It's actually kind of a salsa too, and it tastes awesome with tortilla chips.  I use fresh lime juice and reduce the olive oil.  The original recipe calls for 2 cans of black beans, but the first time I made this, I only had one can in the house, so I made it that way, and I've made it that way ever since.  I'm sure it would be just as good with two, though!

Actually, the first time I made this, I brought it to an extended-family camp out in Mt. Rainier national park.  I actually brought it just for my little family (this was back in 2005, I think!) but ended up sharing it with everyone there who wanted some and it got many rave reviews! 

Don't skip the cilantro unless you're one of those cilantro-haters.  It really makes this; I wouldn't make this salad without it!  That's why, last week when I made this, when my regular store was out of cilantro, I went out of my way to go to another one to get some even though it was highly inconvenient at the time!
Black Bean & Corn Salad
adapted from Allrecipes

1/3 cup fresh lime juice

1/3 cup olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1-2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed at room temp
1 avocado - peeled, pitted and diced
1 red or orange bell pepper, chopped
2 tomatoes, chopped (or a bunch of halved cherry tomatoes)
6 green onions, thinly sliced
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

1.  Place lime juice, olive oil, garlic, salt, and cayenne pepper in a small jar. Cover with lid, and shake until ingredients are well mixed.

2.  In a salad bowl, combine beans, corn, avocado, bell pepper, tomatoes, green onions, and cilantro. Shake lime dressing, and pour it over the salad. Stir salad to coat vegetables and beans with dressing, and serve.

**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I just finished making this for supper tonight. How funny!

What a Dish! said...

That IS funny! I was actually going to make this again for our dinner tonight, even though we just had it not even a week ago, but we ended up going out instead. Tomorrow!