Monday, September 2, 2013

Greek Yogurt Roasted Chicken

chix1W
We love making whole roasted chicken around here- the whole fam loves it, even the pickiest one.  I'm starting to think that just one chicken isn't enough for my family anymore, but only one will fit in my tiny oven at a time, lol!  So we just have to make sure there are enough side dishes.  

This was one of the most delicious roasted chicken I've ever had.  The method is so simple- just slather plain Greek yogurt on the chicken and then roast- but the flavor was just amazing.  The skin was roasted to perfection too- crispy and just melt in your mouth.  Yes, I do eat the skin and I admit it!  My favorite part!!  I never touch the wings usually, but that was my favorite part of this chicken.  The chicken was very tender and released a lot of very flavorful juices during cooking- I should make gravy next time and serve it over mashed potatoes.  
chix4W
This recipe comes from the Penzey's Spice Catalog.  They have some delicious recipes in there- and I order many spices from them.  They have everything!!  For this recipe, I used their Greek seasoning for the first time.  If you don't have that, just use anything you want- they suggest rosemary, freshly ground black pepper, and salt.  

Greek Yogurt Roasted Chicken
adapted from Penzey's 

1 whole roasting chicken (5-8 lbs)
8 oz. plain Greek yogurt (use as much as necessary; I used slightly less)
2-3 tsp. chopped dried rosemary (optional)
1/2 tsp. salt, or to taste
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
1-2 Greek seasoning (use in place of salt and pepper, if using)
1 small lemon
1 small onion, peeled, or 1/4 of a large onion

1.  Place the chicken in a roasting pan and coat thoroughly with yogurt.  Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 8 hours or overnight.

2.  Preheat oven to 400 F.  Season the chicken with rosemary, salt and pepper (or Greek seasoning), and any optional seasonings.  Wash the lemon ad cut in half, lengthwise.  Place in the cavity of the chicken, and then place the onion in the cavity as well.  

3.  Roast at 400 for 60-75 minutes or until done.  Near the end, you may need to tent with foil if the skin is browning too quickly (but will brown quite a bit).  
chixW
 **This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

2 comments:

LadyJayPee said...

Yikes, that looks incredible! I love all of the rich brown color.

What a Dish! said...

It's a fam fave around here now; everyone loves it! I should make 2 at a time now but my oven is too small, lol.