Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Afghan Fudge- Sheer Payra

fug6W
For book club recently, we read  A Thousand Splendid Suns.  I've read it before, a few years ago, but chose to re-read it so that I looked like I knew what was going on.  Long before I started re-reading it, I looked online for some recipes from Afghanistan I could make to bring.  I bookmarked this one right away, and another one for yogurt dip that I'll share later.  I don't think this is in the book, but it looked so good I had to make it.  :)
fug1W
This fudge looked delicious with cardamom and pistachios.  I made it according to the directions (except subbing all pistachios for walnuts and pistachios).  The fudge became a little bit gritty, like some sugar was undissolved, but I cooked this for a long time so I'm not sure why.  I used Lyle's Golden Syrup instead of corn syrup; I wonder if that had something to do with it.  The flavor was good enough to get over that though; this proved to be pretty popular.  Just cut small pieces, because this is very sweet!
fug3W
Afghan Fudge- Sheer Payra
adapted from Lit Lovers

2 cups sugar
2/3 cup milk
1/4 tsp. salt
2 Tablespoons light corn syrup (or Lyle's Golden Syrup)
2 Tablespoons butter
1/2 tsp. ground cardamom (I used 3/4 tsp.)
1/2 cup shelled pistachios (finely chopped) (can do half pistachios and half walnuts)

1.  In a medium, heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat, combine milk, sugar, corn syrup or Golden Syrup, and salt. Stir occasionally, making sure sugar dissolves. Heat to 240 degrees F on a candy thermometer.

2.  Remove from heat and add butter. Cool to 120 degrees F without stirring. Add cardamom and beat vigorously for about 5-10 minutes, till fudge is thick and no longer glossy.  (I used a wooden spoon.)

3.  Stir in nuts and spread into a buttered 9 x 5 x 3 loaf pan. Let rest until firm and cut into 1" squares.

**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

1 comment:

Linda said...

Like an Afghan praline. ;) I've had candy turn sugary like that too, and then the next time turn out perfectly creamy. Wish I knew why.