Friday, November 15, 2013

Rogan Josh- Kashmiri Red Curry (and Salad Shirazi)

rogan3W
We loved this dish.  I think my two-year old was the biggest fan; he doesn't usually eat very much at all, but he could not get enough of this.  I don't know how I came across this recipe, but I'm so glad I did.  I found it on An Edible Mosaic, and I loved browsing that blog.  I urge you to go spend some time looking!  :)  I also want to check out her cookbook.

This dish contains beef, which I thought was different than the usual Indian-inspired curries, but I went with it and it is so good!  We don't eat much red meat, but I'm really wanting to make this again soon.  Plus, it's a great, hearty dish for winter.  I love the mix of spices in this.  I got my cardamom pods (and other things) from Penzey's.  I love that company and their spices.  
rogan4W
Rogan Josh- Kashmiri Red Curry
adapted from An Edible Mosaic

2 TB canola oil
1 1/2 to 2 lb beef, trimmed of fat and cubed (I like to use sirloin for this)
1-2 large onions, chopped
4-5 large cloves garlic, minced
1 TB fresh grated ginger
8 pods cardamom, crushed and outer pods removed
2 bay leaves
5 whole cloves
4 tsp paprika (I use sweet paprika)
1 tsp each coriander and cumin
1/2 tsp each cinnamon and black pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (or more to taste)
1 cup plain yogurt, plus more for serving if desired
1 beef bouillon cube or 1 tsp. beef broth base
Salt and pepper
Fresh chopped cilantro or parsley (for garnish)
Salad Shirazi (for serving- recipe below)
Prepared basmati rice (for serving)

1.  In a 5-quart pot with a lid, heat the oil over medium to medium-high heat. When the oil starts to ripple, sear the beef on all sides (about 5 minutes). Stir in the onion, garlic, and ginger and cook until the onion starts to soften (about 3-5 minutes). Stir in the cardamom, bay leaves, cloves, paprika, coriander, cumin, cinnamon, black pepper, and cayenne and fry for about 30 seconds, until the spices are fragrant. Add the beef bouillon or base.

2.  Use a wooden spoon to push the beef and onions to one side of the pot. Add 2 TB of yogurt to the empty area, stirring continuously until it blends in; continue until all the yogurt is added. Add just enough water to cover everything (about 1 cup), bring the mixture up to a boil, then put a lid on it, turn it down to a simmer, and let it cook for about an hour (stirring occasionally) until it’s thickened and the beef is tender. Remove cloves (if you can find them!) and bay leaves before serving. Taste and season with salt and pepper.

3.  Serve garnished with a dollop of plain yogurt and a sprinkle of cilantro or parsley, alongside Salad Shirazi and prepared basmati rice.

Salad Shirazi
adapted from An Edible Mosaic 

diced cucumber
tomato
onion
parsley
oil 
lemon juice
salt/pepper

1.  Use as much of the ingredients as needed to make enough salad.  For my husband and I, I used half of an English cuke, 2 small Roma tomatoes, about 1/4 of a white onion, and then drizzled everything else to taste.  This is really good with Rogan Josh!

**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks fabulous!

Rebecca =) said...

This was fantastic! I made it tonight for my family and we all loved it. It was easy and didn't take too much prep time. Thank you for an amazing dinner.

What a Dish! said...

Thank you, that is so great to hear!