Friday, November 21, 2014

Canja de Galinha (Portuguese Chicken & Rice Soup)

I have made Canja once before, when I first moved to the Azores.  I just used a regular Portuguese cookbook, though, not an Azorean one, and the recipes are quite different.  The one I made before was really simple and had mint.  This one is still simple, but more hearty.  This is the closest to the Canja from my fave Pastelaria there.  (I love that place, but they wouldn't give me their Canja recipe. Sheesh.)  I made homemade Massa Sovada- Portuguese Sweet Bread- to go with it.  I'll share that recipe later.  It's from the same blog.    I think the Pastelaria sometimes added chopped hard-boiled eggs to theirs, but I don't remember anymore.  :(
Canja de Galinha (Portuguese Chicken & Rice Soup)
adapted from Azores Gal

3 bay leaves
10 whole allspice
1 clove of garlic cut small/minced
1 medium onion, finely diced
1/2 of a chicken ( or whole if you wish)
1-2 teaspoons of sea salt ( salt and taste the water to your liking)
12 cups of water ( + 5 more cups, if needed to add during cooking the chicken)
½ cup of white rice (can use up to 1 cup)
lemons, optional

1.  Put 12 cups of water, bay leaves, allspice, salt, garlic, onion, and chicken in a pot, cover with the lid. Bring to the boil. Let boil until chicken is cooked, about an hour. During cooking time, check to see if you need to add some water, as it will reduce as it boils. Remove the chicken when it's cooked, and shred or cut into bite-size pieces and set aside.

2.  Taste the broth, and adjust the salt to your liking. To the broth now add in the rice, and let it cook for about 20 minutes, simmer on low heat. Do not cover with the lid, as this sometimes, will make it boil over. After the 20 minutes, remove the pot from the heat and let it sit for 15 minutes, the rice will finish cooking. At this time add in the shredded chicken. It´s now ready to serve! You can squeeze some lemon juice in your bowl (this is the best!) or add a splash of vinegar.

**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

No comments: