Thursday, March 26, 2015

Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate

It's been rainy, windy and chilly here lately, and this drink was the perfect thing the other day.  (Last week we had beautiful spring weather, so hopefully this rain passes soon.)  Recipe like this are popular on the internet, and I've never been to Starbucks and had theirs.  I mainly wanted to use up the last bit of store-bought caramel sauce I had in the fridge after making this pie for Pi Day.  This was so good as it was- I can't even imagine how good it'd be with homemade caramel sauce.
I only had enough caramel sauce to make one serving, and my three-year old practically stole this out of my hands and drank most of it.  He really, really enjoyed this.  Lol.

I used some of our homemade Azorean Sea Salt in this, and it added the perfect flavor.  It doesn't taste salty; rather, it brings out the flavors of chocolate in this.
Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate
idea from the Internet; this is my version

1 cup whole milk
1 oz. good quality dark chocolate (I used Ritter Sport)
1-2 tablespoons caramel sauce
1/4 teaspoon good sea salt, or to taste
1/2 vanilla bean, scraped (save pod for other use; vanilla sugar or extract)
whipped cream, optional

1.  In a small saucepan on the stove, heat everything together over low heat until everything is melted and incorporated together and hot.  (Add 1 Tbsp. of caramel sauce first, then taste and see if you need the rest.)  Serve with whipped cream, optional, and extra caramel sauce drizzled over the top.
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/**/

No comments: