Saturday, April 25, 2015

Thai Green Curry

I am lucky enough to have a friend from Thailand here who cooks delicious food for me sometimes. I learned how to make red and green Thai curry from her- once she made me and my three-year old a pumpkin red curry that was SO good.  My three year old couldn't get enough; I thought he would burst from eating so much of it.
The pics I took are of the leftovers, and it doesn't' look as good as it did the night I made it, but the leftovers still taste great, fortunately!  The below is just a loose recipe, more of a method. Add the palm sugar, fish sauce, etc, to taste.  (PS: Fish sauce is not scary at all, and it's a important ingredient in many Thai dishes, so I'd get some if you plan to make this or any other Thai food).

Thai Green Curry
adapted from my friend W.P.

1 can (14.5 oz, or 400 ml, I think, or thereabouts) good-quality coconut milk, like Aryo-D
1-3 tablespoons green curry paste (to taste; start with a little and add more)
1 onion, chopped
1-2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced and then cut into smaller pieces
1 red bell pepper, chopped (or zucchini or other fave veggie)
palm sugar, a few teaspoons (sub a little other sugar if you don't have it)
fish sauce, 1 or more teaspoons or tablespoons, to taste
kafir lime leaves, if you can find them
fresh basil, chopped, optional

1.  In a skillet or saucepan, add some fat from the coconut milk and cook until melted.  (If fat from the coconut milk is not visible, you can use some coconut or other oil here).  Stir in some of the green curry paste; about 1 tablespoon, until it melts.  Add the rest of the coconut milk from the can, and more curry paste if desired, along with the onions, chicken, and veggies.  Simmer gently until everything is cooked through; about 10-15 minutes.  Add palm sugar and fish sauce to taste.  If you have kafir lime leaves, chop some and add them (I have never used them because I can't find any).

2.  Simmer until the sauce reaches desired thickness and consistency.  If it gets too thick, you can thin it with some water.  Re-adjust seasonings.  You can also add some water to make the dish go further. Stir in fresh basil at the end, if using.  Serve over hot jasmine rice.
*You can use this method for red curry paste too.  If using something sweet like pumpkin, don't use any palm sugar.  Always add all seasonings to taste.
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **