Friday, October 9, 2015

Pumpkin White Hot Chocolate

At a cooking class last winter, the class made Pumpkin Cappuccino, but since I don't drink coffee, Lucas gave me some of the mixture before he added the espresso, and it was just sweetened, warm milk with pumpkin spice and pumpkin/squash puree.  I had the idea back then to make a white hot chocolate based on that, and I finally did last weekend.  Obviously, my whipped cream wasn't working and the cinnamon garnish got WAY out of hand (I had to scrape it off and toss it after the photo shoot.... I had only made one cup of this, lol).  But I hope you can still get the idea.  Imagine a perfect swirl of whipped cream and a tiny sprinkling of cinnamon.  If I ever get better pics I'll update.
Pumpkin Spice White Hot Chocolate
adapted from Cooking with Lucas
makes one serving

1 cup milk
3/4- 1 ounce white chocolate
pumpkin spice
cinnamon
1 tablespoon pumpkin or butternut squash*
whipped cream

*1. For the squash, I buy pre-cut, skinned, raw pumpkin or squash at the Italian stores.  They probably have something similar in the States.  I then simmer a few chunks in a bit of water until tender and then drain.  One could probably use canned pumpkin puree or even squash baby food for this recipe, but I haven't tried it.  I did have to strain the cooked pumpkin/milk mixture because I couldn't get the pumpkin dissolved fine enough to not be chunky.

2.  Heat the milk and white chocolate gently over low heat, whisking frequently.  Add a sprinkle of the spices.  When the chocolate is melted, removed from heat and add the pumpkin.  Using an immersion blender, blend everything together (carefully) until very smooth.  You may wish to strain it over a small strainer into a mug for a smoother drink.  Top with whipped cream and an extra sprinkle of cinnamon, if desired.
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

No comments: